The Center on Policy Initiatives is an independent nonprofit that has been at the forefront of the fight for economic justice in San Diego since 1997. We are the San Diego County people’s think tank. We conduct research, generate policy solutions, advance leadership development, and then build alliances to win policies that benefit working families and diverse communities.
The HR/Operations Manager works cross-functionally as the operational backbone, touching on HR, recruiting, culture building, employee experience, and the anything-and-everything that helps the organization thrive. This position serves as a critical thinker and strategic partner, while also being hands-on and detail oriented.
The Human Resources & Operations Manager supports the organization across four areas.
- Own the end-to-end recruitment process for a variety of open positions, collaborating with hiring managers to understand the skills and competencies required for openings, managing candidate pipelines, and managing the hiring process.
- Develop and advance processes that will help CPI improve and scale its hiring efforts.
- Serve as the first touch point to help employees resolve questions and challenges related to technical platforms, employee benefits, and other HR-related inquiries.
- Own the execution of human resource programs including but not limited to benefits, leave, performance reviews, occupational health and safety standards, and compliance training.
- Leads employee on-boarding, review, and exiting processes, orienting employees to the organization’s values and mission.
- Processes employee benefit enrollments, terminations, changes, and claim resolutions.
- Maintains employee files and databases, status change forms, performance reviews, and other materials.
- Collaborate with the finance team to manage timely expense reporting and coordinate budgets.
- Supports the development and principles that define CPI’s values into the everyday workplace experience.
- Lead or assist with specific projects on an ad-hoc basis.
Internal Tools and Vendors
- Become a knowledge expert for CPI’s internal organizational systems and tools and creates accessible training documentation.
- Maintain vendor agreements and search out new tools and systems to improve work processes.
- Manage relationships with external partners including building management, IT services, and vendors. Order and distribute equipment and supplies, as needed.
- Coordinate building access and use in accordance with health and safety requirements.
- Greet guests and create a welcoming environment for everyone at CPI.
- Establishes historical reference for the office by ensuring compliance with the organization’s policies on
- the protection, retention, retrieval, and disposal of documents and information.
- Support effective communication with the public by ensuring security of official mail and
- correspondence and by properly routing community inquiries
- Assists in the planning and execution of office closures for holidays and breaks.
- 2-3 years of Human Resource or Business Operations experience.
- Demonstrated commitment to racial and economic justice and the needs and concerns of working people and diverse communities.
- Proven organizational skills and attention to detail.
- Excellent people skills, with experience collaborating in a diverse, and dynamic work environment.
- Ability to act with integrity, professionalism, and confidentiality.
- Comfortable with software and cloud technologies.
Salary and Benefits
CPI’s salary and benefit standards are competitive and reflect our commitment to economic justice and equal pay for equal work. The salary range for this position is between $61,000 and $72,438 per year. We offer a full benefits package including employer-paid health, vision, and dental insurance, 401(k) retirement plan with employer contribution, and a generous paid time-off program including paid sick, vacation, and holidays.
Interested candidates should apply on ZipRecruiter and submit an introduction describing your experience and why you are interested in this role. Applications will be reviewed on a rolling basis, until the position is filled. Position available immediately.
Due to the current Covid-19 public health protocols, all interview activities will be conducted remotely by phone or Zoom. Upon returning to regular operations, this position will be located at our offices in San Diego. Given the high volume of applications we receive, it is not possible for us to contact all the candidates. We are also unable to accept calls or direct e-mails regarding the status of applications.
The Center on Policy Initiatives respects, values and celebrates the unique attributes, characteristics and perspectives that make each person who they are. We believe our strength lies in the broad range of people and partners we work with and represent. Inclusion is a driver of our institutional excellence and we seek out the participation of women, people of color, persons with disabilities, lesbian, gay, bisexual, transgender and queer employees, board members, and volunteers.