The Center on Policy Initiatives (CPI) in San Diego is seeking a skilled, flexible communications professional to join our team. If you are a writer/ meticulous editor with a flair for social media, website proficiency, and a deep commitment to economic and racial justice for working people and diverse communities, please apply!
We need a communicator who has a demonstrated ability to create powerful, clear, and strategic messages and to disseminate them effectively using a wide range of communications tools and technology. We seek an individual who is motivated to do great work, takes initiative, works independently, and is also skillful at working collaboratively in teams. You need a cool head under pressure and the ability to meet regular and frequently competing deadlines.
If all this sounds like you, you’re going to love working at CPI. The Center on Policy Initiatives is an independent nonprofit that has been at the forefront of the fight for economic justice in San Diego since 1997. We conduct research, generate policy solutions, advance leadership development, and then build alliances to win policies that benefit working families and diverse communities. Our three-person communications team is essential to everything we do.
- Developing and implementing communications strategies for CPI campaigns and programs.
- Developing and writing strategic messages and communications for campaigns and programs, including web content, email messages, social media posts, speeches, and press statements.
- Creating materials for internal and external use by campaigns, programs, and development, such as talking points, fact sheets, brochures, flyers, graphics, presentations, etc.
- Planning, managing, and creating social media and website content, including memes, design elements, interactive data presentations, and other content.
- Shooting and curating photos and videos for websites and social media pages.
- Writing and editing press releases, opinion pieces, and other materials for news media/public dissemination.
- Responding to news media inquiries and requests.
- Helping write, edit, and produce research reports, issue briefs, and other CPI publications.
- Developing and managing digital marketing campaigns across e-mail, web, and social media platforms.
- Planning and executing press conferences and other media events.
- Developing and pitching stories to mainstream and independent news media.
- Cultivating and maintaining relationships with key reporters, editors, and producers locally and nationally.
- Training spokespeople for public hearings, press conferences, and interviews.
- At least 3-4 years of experience doing communications and media work for advocacy campaigns or other organizations.
- Demonstrated commitment to racial and economic justice.
- Excellent written communication skills and good spoken communication skills.
- Demonstrated ability to develop and implement strategic communications plans, craft messages, and produce clear, compelling communications materials.
- Strong, demonstrated commitment to the needs and concerns of working people and diverse communities.
- Experience with websites, social media, and emerging media platforms, and understanding of communications technology trends. Experience with these programs is preferred: Word Press, Adobe Suite (InDesign, Illustrator, Photo Shop, Premiere)
- Experience with photography and/or filmmaking, especially experience with DSLR cameras.
- Familiarity with media outreach and the news industry overall.
- Ability to problem-solve and generate ideas, and to do so under deadline pressure while maintaining good humor.
- Demonstrated ability to work collaboratively as part of a team and also to work independently with the self-motivation to produce excellent work on time.
- Ability to anticipate needs and plan accordingly, coordinate complex activities, prioritize conflicting demands, and meet deadlines with minimal supervision.
- Availability and willingness to work irregular hours, including evenings and weekends.
- Bi-lingual in English and Spanish – advanced fluency.
- Experience working in the labor movement, with a labor organizing/advocacy organization or with a social justice advocacy organization.
- Previous experience in a nonprofit, political or governmental setting.
- Knowledge of CRM’s, e-mail databases, and fund-raising software applications (specifically NPG-VAN, EveryAction, or similar).
Salary and Benefits:
CPI’s salary and benefit standards are competitive and reflect our commitment to economic justice and equal pay for equal work. The salary range for this position is between $53,125 and $56,250 per year. We offer a full benefits package including employer-paid health, vision, and dental insurance, 401(k) retirement plan with employer contribution, and a generous paid time-off program including paid sick, vacation, and holidays.
Interested candidates should prepare and submit their resume along with a cover letter highlighting your unique fit for this position to email@example.com, with the subject line “Communications Specialist” – ‘(your First and Last name)’”. No phone calls please.
This position is rolling until filled. Interviews will be completed in August for a September start date.
Due to the current COVID-19 public health protocols, all interview activity will be conducted remotely by phone or Zoom. Upon returning to regular operations, this position will be located at our offices in San Diego. Given the high volume of applications we receive; it is not possible for us to contact all candidates. We are also unable to accept calls or direct e-mails regarding the status of applications.
The Center on Policy Initiatives respects, values and celebrates the unique attributes, characteristics and perspectives that make each person who they are. We believe our strength lies in the broad range of people and partners we work with and represent. Inclusion is a driver of our institutional excellence and we seek out the participation of women, people of color, persons with disabilities, lesbian, gay, bisexual, transgender and queer employees, board members, and volunteers.